Smith Memorial Union, Portland State University
January 31st, 2014, 5pm
Gina Bacon, Kim Olsen-Charles, Rose Bosely, Matt Giroux, Jennifer Rogers, Katherine Pitman, Gary Furuyama, Chris Evans, Berenice Prado, Tami Chapman, Jamie Foster, and Pete Schreiner
- Introductions and role descriptions
- Last year’s events:
- Library visits
- Social events
- Trivia night fundraiser (about $120)
- Prom – didn’t happen last year. No one wanted take on alcohol responsibility required for location.
- It is historically a popular event in the library community.
- Zine library offered their space – having been there, Pete thought it wouldn’t be a great space for prom, but we should keep them in mind for other events
- Proceeds to OLA or Friends of the Library?
- Maybe plan for late summer/fall this year?
- Speakers (during class lunch times)
- Brainstormed ideas for this year:
- Survey Library Community? What do they need from us?
- Fundraising/Civic Involvement
- Book drive for Oregon Women’s Correctional Facility – Kim has a contact there
- 50/50 Raffle
- Grant Opportunities? Library community to apply for SCALA man-power/fundraising proceeds
- Need to prove ourselves first
- Create a network of ESU alumni in the area
- Kim has spoken to Perri about this project – need to create database
- Combine networking with civic efforts
- Networking with WLA student groups?
- Social Events – OR 14 survey indicated students are very interested in social events.
- Possible monthly happy hour in Portland?
- Focus for this term will be a bookdrive benefiting Oregon Women’s Correction Facility
- Kim will get book guidelines from librarian
- Drive to last 1-2 months
- Happy hour kickoff event – invite library community
- Need to keep good records of books/donations received – receipts? Also a location to store donations received
- Ask Perri to put it on the Libs-Or Listserv once we have details.
Next meeting to be held on Friday, February 21st before Oregon 14’s class
Minutes submitted by Jennifer Rogers, Secretary