Smith Memorial Union, Portland State University
May 30th, 2014, 5pm
Kim Olsen-Charles, Matt Giroux, Jennifer Rogers, Katherine Pitman, Gary Furuyama, Berenice Prado, Tami Chapman, Jamie Foster, and Pete Schreiner
- Bookdrive: “Liberty Through Literacy”
o Big thanks to Pete and Katherine for stepping up and getting things done and making the drive successful!
- Over 1,000 books donated!
- Katherine still has some that were donated after the drive was over. Is going to drop them off at Marion County when she has time.
o Katherine would also like the contact info for the Oak Creek librarian.
o Weaknesses/Ideas for next time
- We won’t use Hubers again. They cancelled our reservation and the space was not conducive to mingling.
- Next time we will confirm reservation about a week ahead of time.
- Saturday nights are hard – maybe a weeknight?
- Logistically complicated – more set dates and details planned ahead of time.
- It would be nice to focus on one organization and get to know them. 2 locations made it overly complicated.
- Generic flyers for garage sales
- Kickoff to be tied to another event – “another reason to come.”
o Reimburse Pete for driving
- Possible Future Events/Activities
o Potluck with Cohort 15?
- This is traditionally done after our first weekend in the fall
- To be held at close-in park – Laurelhurst?
- Check on cost – possibly use $ from budget?
o Trivia Night Fundraiser?
- Raised about $150 in the past at Claudias. Charge for teams/individuals
o Variety Night?
o Tap into recent Alums. Check in with Perri regarding database/contact info.
- Send postcard/emails about future events
- Find a location without liquor license issue.
o OLA Quarterly – edit an issue?
- Get on national SCALA listserv (Don Wood)
- Next meeting: Friday, July 11th.
o Bring ideas for next year
Minutes submitted by Jennifer Rogers, Secretary