- Cramer Hall, Portland State University
- Forrest Johnson – President
- Blake Kincaid – Vice President
- Lynne Halladay – Secretary
- Jonathan Ulrich – Treasurer
- Keegan Spring – Event Coordination Committee
- Amy Stewart – Event Coordination Committee
- Jennifer Wells – Social Media Committee Chair
Reports from Officers & Committees
Event Coordination Committee
We are just having an informal get-together for Perri (so
people should just show up)
- Apex (1216 SE Division St)
- Time tbd?
- If people can’t make it in person, consider
donating a book instead
- Jennifer is posting on OLA listserv about the
- Will also likely have a Facebook post about it
- Are not making memory book as planned, but
might have blank book for people to sign/write in
Passing on to Next Cohort
- Who wants to stay on in position in SCALA next
- Orientation August 10th
- Jennifer, Blake, and Jordan? planning on
talking to them about SCALA
- Mentor style teaching for new SCALA members
Members Present: Lynne, Forrest, Blake, Amy, Johnathan, Jennifer, Christopher, Jordan
about looking at Pathfinder and deciding if what is currently on there is okay
for everyone or if there are any suggestions
to provide an option of structure for the next cohort in the fall
SCALA will move into the next year, how involved we will be?
of having a fundraiser event
use the money to fund a scholarship for Oregon cohort students?
need a faculty involved in the process if we did that
a celebration for Perri (since she is retiring in August)
doesn’t want it to be all about her/have her as the cause
- 2 possible locations: Lagunitas Bar
or Lucky Lab
- Want to have either just donations or
a one-time fee
- Would be during a weekend, probably a
- Maybe ask people to bring/ tell
stories about Perri
have to get her permission for this first
Members Present: Alyssa Collins, Jennifer Wells, Forrest Johnson, Blake Kincaid, Lynne Halladay, Amy Stewart, Johnathan Ulrich, Keegan Spring
- What do we have time the time/capacity to do this semester?
- Forrest had concerns about 804 class
- Asking if Michael (professor) could put together a back-of-the-office panel during class weekend
- Encourage more students to submit photos/write ups about their experiences related to libraries/library conferences for the SCALA website
- Ideas for events to do
- Trivia and/or drinks after class on Saturday
- Post announcements about them to the Facebook page about a month in advance
- Merchandise to raise money for SCALA
- We are just going to start with Happy Hours this semester
- Want to define job titles for current and future SCALA members
- Right now everything is vague
- Reach out to current and past members to ask for advice about what each role should be
- Plan to have SCALA meeting every class Saturday
Tour of makerspaces in Oregon
- 2 possible locations (Hillsboro and Rockwood) also Maker Librarian in Vancouver, WA
- Before New Years
- Tentative date set for December 14th/15th
- Planning on inviting others once date is set and we find out how many people are allowed to go at once
- Possibly live stream the Maker’s Tour for people who can’t be there?
- Talked about staff turnover with Maker Spaces
- Where are the Maker spaces, how close together are they?
- Google Doc to address these questions
- Stick with public libraries for now
- OMSI Maker Fair, OSU craft shop
Possible fundraiser event
- Lagunitas community room (237 NE BROADWAY, SUITE 300, PORTLAND, OR 97232), a nonprofit group who wants to help people fundraise
- We could charge for tickets, alcohol
- Would need to do outreach
- Possibly have trivia
Sunday December 16th – Maker’s Tour
- Working on time for Vancouver
Need to still ask about recording the tour
- Make sign up form
- SCALA Facebook post
Not using social media right now, want to incorporate Facebook
- Have Perri email everyone about event for head count
We have a SCALA blog, could be landing page for us for events
Facebook Live/Blog post about the tour
Still need to work out travel details/carpooling
Congratulations to this school year’s SCALA officers!
President: Elliot Stapleton
Vice Presidents: Blake Kincaid and Forrest Johnson
Secretary: Lynne Halladay
Treasurers: Christopher Melton and Jonathan Ulrich
Event Coordination Committee: Amy Stewart, Keegan Spring, Laura Connealy
Social Media Committee: Jennifer Wells (chair), Alyssa Collins and Barbara Fischer (website)
Top (back) row from left to right– Devon Bergeron, Esther Zen-Zele, Celeste Bennett, Shaleigh Westphall, Lynne Stahl, Katie Patterson, Sylvia Podwika, Alexander Halpern, Katlyn Lachesis Temple, Kelley Mitchell, Robert Kohl, and Windy Barrett.
Second row form left to right- Jennifer Belle, Barbara Fischer, Carina Bernard, Rebecca Lazan, Jaime Bogdash, Jessiemarie Duplessis, and Nicholas Alden.
Front row from left to right- Susan O’Connor, Malia Cumming, and Jessica Marian Talisman.
Graduates not pictured- Rachel Fellman, Sean Gaston, Twila Johnson-Tate, Sheila Shapiro, Steven Valdez.
Also present- Dr. Wooseob Jeong, Dean, School of Library & Information Management, Emporia State University, and Pierina Parise, Director, Oregon Emporia State University MLS School of Library and Information Management (SLIM).
Lynne Stahl, current student at Emporia State University’s School of Library and Information Management program. Many congratulations to Lynne for her excellent poster presentation at ALA 2018, in New Orleans.