4/24 Oregon SCALA Meeting Minutes

Meeting Minutes
Oregon SCALA Prom
Portland State University, Rm. 160
Members Present:

Jennifer Rogers, Haylee Kai, Anne Keech, Mindy Nichols, Amanda Kundert, Sylvie Huhn, Amanda Woods, Gabby, Gary

  • How many tables?
  • Amanda will be the DJ, find out what the Q center has for music—has lots of music but let her know if there is anything that we want specifically
  • Social Media the crap out of this! – Facebook promote it- if it’s not too expensive.
  • Hand out the hand bills!
  • Tripod- Amanda will bring
  • Get there at 6 to set up
  • Checking if the caterer brings plates etc…
  • Doodle for next meetings
  • Gary will post to LibsOR

SCALA Meeting Minutes 3/20

  • Meeting Minutes
    Oregon SCALA Prom
    Portland State University Library, Room 160
    March 20th, 2015

    Members Present
    Jennifer Rogers, Haylee Kai, Anne Keech, Mindy Nichols, Amanda Woods, Sylvie Huhn, Amanda Kundert, Aaron Novinger,

    Discussion Topics

  • $10 ticket sales prices $15 at the door—sponsor ticket—event bright
  • Hold off on doing food stuff until about a month before to gage numbers, and see where the interest is at, around mid-April—Sharalyn and to work on food
  • Put out on LIBS-OR— to draw in people outside of SCALA
  • Anne and Haylee work together to discuss the trivia night
  • Haylee and Sylvie will work on marketing materials
  • Charging for alcohol—Hefe and IPA
  • Johnathan—from PSU library with OLCC license—Anne’s connection
  • Amanda– doing the music – when people buy tickets add music – add to the facebook event
  • Tripod from Aaron and remote
  • Library checkout cards as the hand out papers for the
  • Yes on the centerpieces from Mindy – to borrow
  • April 10th at 5pm, SCALA prom meeting
  • Aaron has a cashbox

SCALA Meeting Minutes 2/20/15

Meeting Minutes
Oregon SCALA
Portland State University Library, Room 160
February 20th, 2015

Members Present
Jennifer Rogers, Haylee Kai, Anne Keech, Mindy Nichols, Amanda Woods, Sylvie Huhn, and Amanda Kundert

Discussion Topics

  • Library Prom

– SCALA colors: blue and silver

-Perri has some decorations and things that are these colors

-Mindy is looking into reusing table centerpieces from her wedding that are also these colors

– Mindy’s fiancé used to DJ for school dances, will ask him if he is willing

– Amanda K- DJ Dirty Molly, will also ask her

-Set up a Google Doc request for songs at the dance

-Nicole’s mom is making cookies she decorates them with designs: book worms, books etc…

  • Financing and Fundraising

-Jennifer and Nicole are going to the Mississippi Business Association to feel out donations

-cost of venue is $330 with the library photo booth

-charge for beer

-Nicole sent out an e-mail with about the beverages

-Haylee will research wine options, one case of red, one case of white

-Pony of cider- see if anyone we know has OLCC license and will do it for free or cheap

– Trivia Night- set up an event, invite everyone, In Other Words, Base Camp Brewery what would this look like?

– What about t-shirt? Amanda K has connections in this. Would pre-orders work?

Prom Committee Minutes 1/11/15

Review of Prom Survey

-Acknowledge the OCLC requirements for an event
-Acknowledge the idea of eventually using it to fund other avenues of fund raising

Q Center and Prom Ideas

– The costs are less than we were anticipating
-Remember working with us, and would love to work with us again
– Sending out a survey to the library community to pick a theme- us libsor
– OLA is in mid-April
-Marketing committee to solicit ideas for themes and how to implement
-May 16th as a possible date, people won’t have homework- we have decided this from 7-10
– Photo booth situation
– Okay with alcohol and outside food, catered or homemade
– have to be involved in set up clean up- ask about the time frame for those


– $50 for the form
– Hire OLCC certified server
– 2 “substantial” items if serving wine and beer, 3 options if serving hard alcohol. Substantial+ main dish like pizza or sandwiches
– Using the middle-eastern food, same place as before


– possible DJ benefits- cheaper, quieter, different music
– get people to submit songs, we play on it on a device, and mix it ourselves, Q center has a music center to play from
– Semi-formal to formal
-Take turns doing photo booth
– Think about who we know, and what we can do for non-profit
– costs, waiting until we get full costs to provide the cost of tickets
-Letter press printing or post cards or posters- Anne
– Fake tattoos as a party favor- Amanda W

Committee Structure

– Bake Sale, Post Cards
– Marketing – create posters, coordinate effort, set up Facebook Group (Amanda W, Gary, Amanda K)
– Fundraising (Powell’s)- restaurants for food- t-shirts (Amanda, Jennifer)
– Food/ Beverage Committee- find out who we are working with, get and bring kegs, get cups and plates and such ( Shaylyn, Gabby)
– Decoration/ Details Committee- (SCALA colors are Blue and Silver) (Anne, Haylee, Sylvie, Mindy)

Class Weekends for OR 14- Feb 27-28 and April 10-11

11/21/14 SCALA Meeting Minutes

Meeting Minutes

Oregon SCALA

Smith Memorial Union, Portland State University

Nov 21st, 2014, 5pm

Members Present:

Jennifer Rogers, Gary Furuyama, Sylvie Huhn, Anne Keech, Amanda Woods, Mindy Nichols, Aaron Novinger (via phone)

Discussion Topics:

  • Bookdrive:
    • Kickoff Event tomorrow at Rogue
      • 5:30pm
      • Bring boxes, wrapping paper, tape, scissors to make donation bins
      • Discuss signage
    • Tour of Doernbecher?
    • Books
      • New or “like new”
      • Kids books, adult books, “light reading”
    • Prom
      • Discussed Survey
        • There is a definite interest, almost all responses were positive
      • Unhosted alcohol
    • Communication
      • Gary brought up using the group Facebook page for communication instead of email
      • We discussed, but there was no real consensus.
      • Jennifer will attempt to try using it more frequently.

Action Items:

  • Aaron to create guidelines for book drive and email to officers
  • Jennifer to call Q Center and find out about prom dates
  • Next meeting: January TBD
    • Prom Meeting

Minutes submitted by Jennifer Rogers, President

ORSCALA Meeting Minutes, 10/24/14

Meeting Minutes

Oregon SCALA

Smith Memorial Union, Portland State University

October 24th, 2014

Members Present:

Jennifer Rogers, Aaron Novinger, Haylee Kai, Anne Keech, Mindy Nichols, Amanda Woods, Sylvie Huhn and Amanda Kundert

Discussion Topics:

  • Doernbecher Book Drive

-We are doing one again in conjunction with Doernbecher Children’s hospital. The material will be for their waiting rooms.

-Looking for materials for materials for adults, children, and teens.

– Amanda Woods has connections through OHSU, will look into putting a donation box in OHSU Paige from cohort 2014 is part of the Student Nursing Association. These are good connections.

– Aaron is going to find out what the books needs are, if they have bookshelves, how many books they currently have etc…

– We should look at the mind frame of the people that are going to be there. How long are they going to be waiting? No classics. Light material. No classics. New arrivals. Colorful. Other languages.

– Haylee a connection with the multilingual Children’s Librarian, will talk with him and get suggestions for titles.

– We want physical books.

-Put this idea up on LIBSOR.

-Put up bins in the libraries.

  • Kickoff Event

-November 22nd

-We need to pick a place.

-Possible Rogue Brewery or Cheerful Tortoise

  • Library Prom

-Semi-formal event at the Q center brings together local librarians.

-Send out a survey to get support from the cohorts.

-The survey should include, “are we interested?” “If it’s not a class weekend, would you go?” “How much would you pay?”

-Vote for a theme. Have a photo booth. Desserts! Mindy will take the lead on setting u the survey

  • Other topics:

-Cohort socials?

– Feminist bookstore “In Other Words” possibly take over their marketing help them out.